Sunday afternoon was a dreadful time. Brode and Graham were doing the usual, fighting over a toy. Only this time is was our cute Rocking Horse that they were fighting over. Brode was on it, Graham wanted on it. Brode started acting silly, like he was going to fall off. Graham pushed him slightly. And there Brode went.... off the back end of the horse. As Brode fell off, the spring-loaded seat flew up and knocked Brode right in the mouth. Immediately there were screams, followed by the most amount of blood I have ever seen. It was awful! Brode kept crying, "Grahamie shouldn't do that!" And the worst of all, "Mommy you should have saved me," my worst nightmare!
After making a few phone calls to some experienced parents, and having a doctor at an urgent care center look at him, we decided we definitely needed to take Brode to the ER. He was excited. Yes he was in pain. But he was so excited to see a doctor, and to talk to every nurse about what happened. He wasn't shy at all or nervous. In the car ride over he made both Micah and I promise that we would stay with him the whole time. Boy I didn't know what what I was getting into.
The Doctor came in and evaluated Brode's wound. Then he began to tell us his plan of action. Micah and I both sat still. He told us that they would numb his mouth (the area around his cut), wrap him up in a sheet like a papoose so he couldn't move and that he'd get some help holding my child down. A male nurse/ body guard to hold his head still, Micah to hold his arms and myself to hold him legs. HOLY CRAP!!!!
It was awful. Brode cried and screamed. He was terrified. We kept talking to him to calm him. Told him we were right here. Nothing. I wanted to leave so bad. I couldn't bare my poor child being tortured, but he made me promise in the car. So I knew I had to keep it together.
The Doctor and the nurse tried to cover his eyes; they thought that maybe if he couldn't see what was going on, he'd calm down. But no. That made it worse. He kept asking me to come closer. "Mommy I can't see your eyes! I want to see your eyes!" I'd get my eyes close to his, and that seemed to help some.
Well now it's been two days. His poor lip is swollen. He can barely talk and does his best to eat. But he has only positive things to say about the traumatic experience. And we survived!
Immediately after the 5 stitches.
It took me a long time to calm him down.
Poor little lip.
3 comments:
Poor Brode!! I hope he gets better fast and that he'll be able to eat easier on Thanksgiving day!!
oh man. that's the worst! i'm so sorry - he looks so miserable. hope it heals fast! chase had stitches on his lip when he was 3 and looking at him, you can't even tell where the scar is. hope his heals nicely too!
Oh my goodness! That IS traumatic. What a tough little guy (and mom!) I can't even imagine. Give Brode a kiss for all of us!
Post a Comment