Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Graham the Ham

Yes, we still refer to this sweet guy as Ham. Because he is such a ham. Always being silly. Constantly putting a smile on our face. He is the sweetest most tender hearted little guy.

Recently his Nursery Teacher at church told me of this time when he shared his toy (that he always plays with). There was a new little boy named Henry who just moved into the ward. He was new and everything was very unfamiliar to him. Henry was having a very hard time. Crying. Graham was very concerned and wanted to help him feel welcome. He tried talking to him. He tried smiling at him. He even offered up one of the trains without being asked to by his teachers. The Nursery Teacher told me it was one of the sweetest most charitable moments ever. Graham is our sweet boy.

We've potty trained him quite successfully. Something I thought would be the challenge of my life, turned out to be so simple. And since then he's become quite the independent kid. Buckles himself in the car. Gets dressed in the morning with no help. Puts his dirty clothes in the laundry room without being asked. It has been perfect. Especially with a new baby in the house who requires a lot of attention. The one thing we have not quite mastered is wiping of the bum. Every afternoon (he's quite regular) he'll come to me like this (above picture). Pants and undies around the ankles and a very small piece of toilet paper. He states quite seriously, "Mom, you need to wipe my bum." I crack up every time. Especially because of the small piece of toilet paper.

This is Graham. Laying on my bed. No, he is not sleeping. He has found my iPod Touch and is watching "Wild Krats". As if this isn't suspicious. Ha! Good job hiding, Little Ham.

This is his spot. I keep a basket of toys in the entry way now. Graham loves to play by himself. And often prefers it. But he doesn't like to be alone. So he drags his toys out here to the tile floor and will play for ever.

Last weekend Graham was invited to his very first birthday party (without Brode). Buzz Lightyear sitting next to him was celebrating his 4th birthday. It was a Toy Story 2 themed party. Graham was in heaven. He had such a blast. The party was a "drop your child and go" type party. But I couldn't leave. He just wasn't too sure about it. But I was glad to stay and visit with Buzz's Mom. And eat cake of course.

Our Brode has always been the singer in the house. Loves to sing church songs. Loves to make up songs. And for the longest time, Graham hated it. He'd shout and scream. He just wanted Brode to stop. And only during very private moments would he let me sing any song to him. But recently he has learned to love songs and love singing. He picks up on the songs that Brode sings. And will sing them by himself. The other day, Graham and I were trying to clean his room. He started to sing and I just had to record it. He is so cute!

1 comment:

Jones said...

I just don't know if I could love this kid anymore than I do already. How incredibly sweet of him to be empathic and want to share his toy. I'm so glad the Nursery leader shared that info. with you. It is often those little moments away from the security of family that a child reveals who they are really becoming. I love love love the singing. I could hear his voice quality and he may be a real singer someday! I'm glad you are respectful of his bashfulness and don't force him to sing and participate. The gentle approach really seems to be what he needs.