Sunday, May 20, 2012

Can't Sleep


You're welcome to read this, but it's really for me
Something I didn't want to forget



Tonight, like many the past 2-3 months, in Oklahoma we're under a Severe Thunderstorm Watch. That doesn't necessarily mean tornados, but means strong wind, hail and lightning. After going to bed, I was awoken by our Storm Alarm twice. Both times for severe weather and not tornados. It's comforting to know that threat isn't there. But, after many late nights, glued to the local news watching the weatherman work tirelessly to provide us with the weather conditions there's a few things I've learned. One, they work really hard and will stay up as late as possible and can get really specific about where the tornado is, and where it's going. So much so they will name streets. Attempt a possible time it will hit your area and what you can expect. Two, the weather is not so predictable, trackable and can change or create at the drop of a hat.
Last month, the state was under a severe weather watch. One town just west of here was hit by a tornado and there wasn't much notice. Especially in the late hours it's difficult to determine because the science of sight is not a tool at our disposal. I appreciate the meteorologists. I'm thankful for my weather alarm. But after being awoken twice by it's loud booming chimes, my subconscious was left to explore. After the second alarm went off, I was then awoken by this terrifying dream....

Micah and I are sitting on our bed. The house is dark except for one light down the hall in the living room, where Brode and Graham have just woken from falling asleep on the floor. We sit on the bed knowing the weather around us, but are comforted in the fact that there has been no tornado warning. The boys come into our room asking to sleep with us. Just then we hear a noise outside our bedroom window. We look out the window. It's a helicopter hovering over our street. Not high but not too low. Just enough to cause some suspicion. It turned slightly and we could make out the lettering on the side, "Channel 5". Our first inclination is that it is scoping out the cloud formations or something. 
I stood under the window watching the helicopter. Us both wondering what's up. Then a flash of lightning revealed to me (I don't think Micah had the same line of sight) what the chopper was watching. A huge tunnel. A huge tornado had formed just miles away from us. I felt this immense heat. I shouted to Micah to run and get the baby. I grab Brode and Graham and rushed them into the bathroom closet in our master bath. Sat them snug around the toilet and I squished in next to one of them. Micah soon appeared with Rocco. I grab him and told Micah to grab pillows and blankets. I hoped that the sense of urgency was known and that I didn't need to verbally speak it. He quickly returned. Threw them on us and began to sit down while attempting to shut the door. 
We knew the tornado was here. We could hear it and feel it. Pulling the boys in tight and we braced ourselves, while Micah was still getting settled. Then it hit the house. Through the crack of the unclosed door we could see the walls start to crumble and fly away. The closet door flew open and the wind started pulling Micah out. He grab a hold of the wall and the knob on the door, trying to pull himself back in. Then all at once everything seemed to change in an eery sort of way. Micah looked at me with relief in his eyes because it seemed like the end of this scary situation. The winds and the suction force seemed to be calming down. But for some reason I didn't think or feel it was over. I did not feel relief or comfort. I encouraged Micah to pull himself back into the bathroom and shut the door. But again he looked at me like it was okay.  

And that's when I woke up. The worst cliffhanger ever. Living here in Oklahoma I am haunted by this very event happening to us. My concern is being prepared for it. I know right now we are not prepared for such an terrible thing to happen. I know I shouldn't fear this but just work hard at getting the things we need to keep us safe. I'm so relieved this was just a dream. So why am I still awake....

2 comments:

cherroth said...

The people at work tell me that dreaming dreams like this are our attempt at controlling situations that we have no control over. Being prepared is one way we can help with the sence of "no control". Of course we can't control the weather,and I am sure your scared about what can happen, but again just know that having faith in you Father in Heaven and the protection the He afords will be the only think that can comfort you. I know this because I use to make myself crazy thinking about the things that could happen. I learned that the only thing that does is make you crazy!!!!! You don't have time for that, so get on you knees or have Micah give you a blessing for comfort......that should calm you spirit. Good luck sweetheart.....but don't waste time like I did! I love you!

cherroth said...

The people at work tell me that dreaming dreams like this is our attempt at controlling situations that we have no control over. Being prepared is one way we can help with the sense of "no control". Of course we can't control the weather,and I am sure your scared about what can happen, but again just know that having faith in you Father in Heaven and the protection the He affords will be the only thing that can comfort you. I know this because I use to make myself crazy thinking about the things that could happen. I learned that the only thing that does is make you crazy!!!!! You don't have time for that, so get on you knees or have Micah give you a blessing for comfort......that should calm you spirit. Good luck sweetheart.....but don't waste time like I did! I love you!