Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Right Hand Man

Rocco, that is.
Oh, 18 months! Why are you so hard, 18 months??
Rocco needs an interesting combination of independence and dependence. I can never be too far away. He will hunt me down, whining and calling my name, searching all the right places. First the kitchen. Then my bathroom (walking right through my room first). Then the toilet room. Then MY room. Then the laundry room. And if I'm not in any of those places, he cries at the front door. Oh yes, it feels great to be loved so much.
We'll, not all the time, it doesn't. Like when I need to put make up on. Or dry my hair. Or type on the computer. Like I said, he is my right hand man. And when I put on my make up, he is putting it on to, or throwing my nice Bobby Brown Brushes into the wet bath tub. Or insisting on using my round brush on his hair, while I use the small comb with the blow dryer on my hair. Or sitting on my lap typing his own email. It is sweet and endearing how helpful he truly wants to be. He'll hand me pillows when I'm making my bed. He'll hand me things from the dishwasher, while I'm unloading it. He'll throw in the dryer sheet into the dryer and close the dyer for me. Rocco truly is just so helpful.

Well, most of the time. 

I like to call this, The Night I Gave Up.
I did mention independence right. But only when he wants it. Which is when it is feeding time. He hates his high chair and wants to walk around the house and eat. Yes, a problem I've not only created but also allowed for sanity's sake. Rocco insists of feeding himself. Corn dogs, sandwiches, cereal, yogurt, bananas. Anything. Everything. And he MUST have a utensil in one hand while he uses the other to spoon the food into his mouth. A lot of touching and feeling goes along with eating these days. And I allow it. {Carol, you'd be so proud. Sensory development! :) } I guess I've learned that as long as he sits in his chair, he can feed himself whatever. As long as he eats.


"What? I'm innocent."

Lunch Mac N Cheese all over the floor and no bowl
or spoon in sight. 

It is easy to forgive those messes he makes. They clean right up and so does he. It's especially easy when he does things like this:

These are the "I'm gonna get you" looks.





Such a lovable baby. My Right Hand Man!

2 comments:

cherroth said...

Rocco is such a beautiful baby. And he looked proud of him self when he was eating and getting the yogurt on his tortilla. All over his tortilla and the table and himself!!!! But then those cute I'm gonna get you looks.........oh how I love that baby!!!!

Jones said...

I am totally proud of you! You're right that it is a sensory experience. But it is also supporting his "growing need for independence" (that is textbook talk)which also supports his cognitive maturation which is critical to the on-going process of individuation -- where he doesn't need to be glued to you all the time. Really, it is positive that he feels so attached to you. It will be gone at some point and in 20 years you'll look back so fondly on having this powerful relationship with him (I know you know that). He just has these killer good looks! What a handsome boy! I love that "I'm gone get you" look!!!! Did you notice how one hand is palm against his face and the other hand is more closed. It looks like a pattern (something he consistently does)but maybe it is just the photos. Maybe he is copying exactly what you do.