Mr. Elk
Sleigh Ride, I had visions of a magical sleigh pulled by big beautiful horses. And that we'd go on this long magical ride through the woods and arrive at a meadow where we'd get off the sleigh and toss some sort of seed at the elk. While Micah had visions of a Sleigh pulled by Elk. Needless to say, we both had no clue what we got ourselves into.
Well, I was right about the horses. But the sleigh was a homemade trailer put on skies. Our seats where bails of hay. (When I first sat down I did not realize that the elk would be eating our seats.) And our ride was about 3 mins into the trees where a large herd of elk waited for the sleigh. The guide eased into the trees. And once we stopped, they (meaning the Elk) came right up to our sleigh. Thank goodness I was sitting on the middle bails of hay with my 2 year old and not the outside bails that the elk ate from, because I was a little freaked.
Mr. Elk ate off the bail of hay my Dad was sitting on. I'd freak!
Micah getting fresh with an elk.
It was quite fascinating watching them eat. They weren't afraid of us. And they fought each other. They'd get up on their hind legs and box each other for the hay. My poor babies did so well. It was about 16 degrees outside. Freezing!!! But we bundled Graham and Brode up real well and they enjoyed watching the elk.
About half way through, Brode got comfortable enough to get off my lap
and get a closer look at the "cows".
Here's Mr. Ham. All snug!
Me and the Top of Brode's head (at the bottom).
After about 45 mins, we headed back to our cars. What an interesting adventure that I don't think I'll ever forget.
1 comment:
That sounds both very fun and very nerve racking. Good for you guys! How fun.
Post a Comment