Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Kid's Say The Darndest Things

"I'm a Lucky Guy!"

All day, every day for the past week or two Brode says this one phrase. Not really sure where he got it from. Maybe a movie. I love the stuff he comes up with. 

Brode is a repeater. He repeats everything he hears. I know he isn't the only one. We love Disney movies at our house, but sometimes the language isn't all that great. 

For example, one night, back in Boise, we were sitting down to dinner with Micah's parents. Brode was rambling on and on like normal. Not really saying anything or to anyone and then all of a sudden he says, "Shut Up, you Idiots!" Micah and I both looked at each other, like what the hay. When Micah realized Cruella Deville says it on 101 Dalmations. URRR!!!! So no more of that movie. 

Brode's new absolute favorite movie is Meet the Robinsons. It is such a cute movie. We all love it! Again not the greatest choice of words. Brode was sitting down at his table writing on a piece of paper with a pencil. When he all a sudden he spouts out, "My stupid Project!"  The little boy in the movie talks about a stupid project. Now everything is "stupid" to him. So darn frustrating!!!!

Come on Disney!!! I expect a little more from you.  

3 comments:

Jones said...

You are fighting a losing battle with Disney. They are interested in what SELLS! not what is best for children. Consider the body-image messages given by Pocahontas (tiny waist, big boobs). This is NOT what Pocahontas looked like! But it pleases the eye (i.e. adult) and is more likely to sell. They also take away the best elements of storytelling. You'd be better off to read stories to your children. There are wonderful CDs of storytellers telling their stories. Great for developing those neural pathways. Love ya.

Dustin and Kellie said...

Seriously Disney! What is that all about. We have the same problem with Ethan. WITH THOSE SAME MOVIES!! (I LOVE Meet the Robinsons though!) I just wish that they'd find better things for their characters to say because I really don't care if someone says "Idiot!" until it is my sweet faced baby!

I agree with Carol too. I think I first started thinking about it while listening to Dr. Laura one day. I grew up LOVING Little Mermaid. But what the heck does that teach you about love???? He doesn't accept Areil until he hears her voice. So what?? He doesn't love her- He loves her voice, and even getting to know her doesn't change things really until she gets her voice back. What a great basis for marriage!

And Cinderella. The Prince doesn't even care to go looking for her, he'll take the first size 6 that comes along. I kinda think he should have got stuck with one of the awful step sisters! Come on, admit it, that would have been hilarious!

Saying all that, I still watch them, and sing them, and love them and let my kids watch them. I totally agree, though, Disney should take a little more responsibility for the things they put into their movies. I guess that is where parenting comes in.
Example, My sis in law is not a member and though out of respect she tries to not take the Lord's name in vain around us, she still does occasionally at home. She's on bed rest with twins and her little boy Kad has been coming over to hang out. He has said it a few times, which at first was a little confusing to Ethan. But we just had to sit him down and explain why that is something we don't say. We actually did this in front of all the day care kids and in front of Kad, and we haven't had a problem since!

Dustin and Kellie said...

Phew! Sorry! Novel and a half!!!